August 17, 2010

a backwards glance...

So, Nate and I visited Detroit this past weekend. Stayed at Larry's, and Heather joined us for the evening too! I told Nate that I used to make it to Larry's at least twice a year, but it had really been a while, so I'm glad we made the trip.

Anyhow, it got me thinking about my Markley friends... Larry and Heather were RA's with me at U of M (Markley was the dorm), along with many other fabulous friends, and most of us are still close. Honestly, I think it was a very rare, lucky thing that we all connected so strongly. Kind of dorky, but really, quite perfect. We would eat endless lunches and dinners in the cafeteria, and I don't think I have ever laughed that hard for that long that often. What an amazing year; I think it was the 99-00 school year. The RA's on-duty would meet late in the evening, and somehow a large group of us would manage to show up for some laughs before bed. We held the Best Damn Karaoke Jam Ever, and the famous Condom-Mania (complete with a dirty "soundtrack" of songs from the early 90's), and we spent our orientation week playing Mafia late into the night. And in the following years, we had weddings to attend together (including Amy and Matt's... RA marries Resident Computer Geek!), and we try to meet each winter for our annual gathering.

And so, here's to us, Markley Gang! I love you guys-- Larry, Heather, Jen, Matt, Amy, Katacia, Erin, Steve, Dana, etc.!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Great memories - great friends - lucky you!

The Tattooed Librarian said...

Love you too Erin! It was great to hang out with you guys.