February 21, 2008

what's the key to keys?

An incredibly simple post to end a long, but productive day...

As I gazed at Jenny's keys dangling from the ignition of her car while she pumped gas on our way home from belly-dancing bootcamp, I realized how much her house key resembles my own house key. And then I pulled out my own keys and began an assessment of the various differences purposely put into each key in an effort to make it unique-- from the edging patterns, to the groove depths and widths. But then I wrapped my mind around a couple of questions that I cannot seem to escape... How do keymakers know whether or not they've created a certain "pattern" previously? How do keymakers know what other keymakers have created? Could my house key fit into someone else's front door?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good question! Could there possibly be a key somewhere in this country
that is exactly like your's?!!! Food for thought!

Anonymous said...

Yes! Uncle Neal said our house key fit his apartment door....by the way, you and Josh should get together and talk. He is always thinking about the strangest things. When I told him about your key thoughts, he found it extremely interesting!!!