January 10, 2010

dry.

While reading Dry., by Augusten Burroughs, I came to a part that immediately brought tears to my eyes. A woman is at an AA meeting with Augusten sharing her story-- how she was diagnosed with breast cancer that had spread to many other areas of her body. She is talking about the alcoholism in this next section, but I truly think it can apply to us with regards to anything that we are spending time on that isn't "right" for us (like an unhealthy marriage, or bad habits, or jobs people hate)...

""When he told me I had maybe four months to live, my very first thought was, I'm going to go get sloshed at Old Town Pub. But then I thought, I am not going to die a drunk. I am going to try to live the best I can. And that means as somebody who is sober. You see, even though back when I was drinking I thought nothing bad ever happened to me, something did. Time passed. A lot of time passed. In bars, at parties with people I didn't care for. It was always the drink. It wasn't about love or reading the Sunday paper in bed. Or housebreaking a puppy. Or anything that people call 'life'. It was about drinking. So actually, something bad, very bad, did happen to me. I wasted my life. And now, what little I have left, I want.""

And I think maybe it made me get teary-eyed because I know how that feels. Don't we all really? Doesn't everyone at some point find themselves facing their choices? I am just so thankful that I chose to make my life more like the life I want to live.

The book is good, by the way. And Magical Thinking is his short-story book that I absolutely loved... totally laugh-out-loud funny.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I'm glad you have the life you really want to live now, too. It takes courage to make changes and you had that. Everyone deserves to be happy and if change is the only way to achieve that, then do it I say! :) I looked on the B&N site at some of his books - think I will borrow one from the library and check him out when I'm done with the books I got for Christmas!