April 3, 2010

small scoop

**Al Ain is the small city directly east of Abu Dhabi on the border of Oman!**
So a lot of you have been asking for "the scoop" on our future in the UAE and our upcoming adventure in the Middle East, with an estimated departure date of August 2010. The contract has now been signed, scanned, delivered (by email)! (Hopefully you got that little motown reference.) I will be teaching for 2 years in Al Ain (the guy who interviewed me said we'd like Al Ain best) for the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC). I will teach early elementary (probably first grade).


Nate and I are both free spirits, in a sense, and neither one of us is deeply in love with winter... So, we decided to search for opportunities overseas. The ADEC opportunity was the best one in many ways. Most well-paying overseas gigs are in private schools, which I didn't want. Even though I will still probably be teaching a lot of rich kids, at least they will be locals who can teach me tons about their culture! I found the ADEC teaching positions listed on the Teach Away website: www.teachaway.com Teach Away is the recruitment agency for ADEC.


Anyhow, although it seems kind of insane for the two of us to be heading to the richest area of the world, the experience should be pretty incredible... They are undergoing huge educational reform (which is exciting and challenging), Nate and I get to learn Arabic, there are outdoorsy things to do (desert camping, mountains in Oman, camel rides...), we'll experience life in a Muslim country, I'll still be teaching in a public school system, and we'll be able to save an amazing amount of money (so that we can then buy our plot of land somewhere and a yurt!). Plus, I figure if we make some good money working the richest area of the world, we'll then be able to travel and volunteer in some of the poorest areas of the world.

6 comments:

Mom said...

You two are amazing! We will hate having you so far away but at least the world is a smaller place these days. AND you will be having an amazing experience. And at least you will be able to come visit once a year - - and we will come see you!
You both definitely have adventure in your souls! :)

Jamie said...

I am so excited for you two!! Can you add a Follower button to your blog because I am going to be stalking it and living vicariously though you for two years.
You guys will have a blast in the Middle East. It is great because when you guys get arrive UAE Ramadan will be starting! You should try traveling to Turkey when you are over there. A lot of historic sites and other activities.
Will Nate be working as well or look for something when you guys get over there?

Erin said...

I shall add a follower button! :) Thanks for your excitement, Jamie... We will definitely try to get to Turkey-- I had thought about that before (thanks to your experiences there!). And Nate will look for something while we are over there; the UAE makes it easy for someone to switch from a travel visa to a work visa.

Betsy said...

You and Nate are two incredibly brave and exciting people to know:) I admire you both and what you are doing... SIGH... If I was thirty years younger and not tied down with material and emotional baggage... Meanwhile... I'll be glued to this website....

Jen Karberg said...

Erin - looks amazing, you will have such fantastic adventures out there! Hi Mom :) I hope I'm not your baggage - we should run away on an amazing adventure - you're never too old for adventure!

Erin said...

Hee hee, Jen, I believe that's Betsy the librarian and fabulous friend from up here! :) At first I thought you were being sweet calling her Mom, then realized you thought you were talking to your own mom! :) (Betsy from here is amazing, though... You'd love an adventure with her!)