July 9, 2008

contemplations of a grown up mind

(just a random storystart, probably the beginning of a fictional piece told from a middle-aged perspective...any ideas on how i can manuever into an actual story?)

I miss the days when reality was something abstract; when I didn’t contemplate what could go wrong, or what would go wrong, or what had already gone wrong. I miss the blind naïveté that led me through life, when I could play games in the backseat of the car unaware that it was going twenty miles over the speed limit or I could say goodbye without worrying I wouldn’t be back. I can’t name the exact moment when maturity overtook me, so I have the feeling it was a gradual process, slowly eating away at the innocence of youth. My smile used to be the light at the end of the tunnel, the bright spot in others’ cloudy days, the optimistic glow settling on the horizon. And it would be accompanied by raucous laughter, as I childishly entertained the masses. Or maybe my memories have created this surreal existence of a positive me, filled with infectious happiness.

Damn the passage of time. Common sense and worldly knowledge make a damaging combination. I feel guilty to be wishing ignorance into my life, but it would certainly make things easier. I guess that’s why people say, “Ignorance is bliss.” Sometimes I try to pretend that I’m back in my old mind, and it will work for a weekend or a party night, but I always end up with my more mature mind wrestling for control.

3 comments:

Ali B. said...

wow. I have wished that my birthday didn't fall on August 27th - beginning of another school year, end of summer... another year older & less ignorant (hopefully?). :) I like this start, it really hits home.

Anonymous said...

Can't offer any suggestions but I like what you've written so far! :)

Erin said...

well, I have added on... somehow my main character ended up being a single mom with a teenage son. And I'm really enjoying writing from her point of view!