June 11, 2008

faith and frustration

So, around my school, I'm known as having some 'political smarts'. Yesterday, someone told me they were looking to get involved because they don't like the direction our country is going... and then this person said, "So tell me the truth-- Is Obama a Muslim?" Now, I of course managed to keep a semi-straight face and explain how right-wing emails get passed on full of lies, and how it is very easy to find out the facts by going to good news websites, etc. And I did a good job giving some facts about Obama, and convincing this person not to just believe everything they hear. But then, last night as I was trying to fall asleep, my blood started boiling. Because, why should it matter if Obama is a Christian or a Muslim or a Jew or a Buddhist?? Seriously, you should have seen the look on this person's face, full of absolute FEAR that someone could actually be a Muslim. I am utterly disappointed that the government has truly succeeded in convincing the population that anyone different could be a terrorist. Because this person I'm referring to is really a decent lady-- kind, funny, generous. But apparently she now has a recently-developed prejudice against Islam, and I place the blame for that on the government's scare tactic attempt to try and justify war in Iraq (which, by the way, how does Saddam=Bin Laden?). And probably the most frustrating part of it is the fact that prejudice lies deep within, and can you imagine the amount of healing this country needs if we are to successfully open people's minds and create an environment of acceptance? Sad. And probably more than anything-- embarrassing.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I'm right there with you on this one! The first question in my mind, as I started to read your blog was "Does it matter?" I thought people had really moved on from questioning things like this...we might as well be back electing JFK....that crazy Catholic!

Ali B. said...

Well said Erin. I am very happy that you are my strong friend who is a great educator of children AND adults. bravo.