June 1, 2008

the cheery competitor

While attempting my first 5K in a long time, I found myself running beside a nice bald guy, and he kept me running faster than I would have run on my own. (I did indeed meet my goal of 25 minutes or less, by hitting it right on the nose-- 25!) Anyhow, once again a part of me surfaced that I've recognized in the past-- I am a positive force on the trail (whether on bike or foot), and usually that great attitude is met with a less-than-bubbly reception. Today was no exception. I started to babble about the lack of mile markers, and my bald friend said, "No words; just breathe," in a kind tone that seemed to be an effort to guide me to victory. In the past, it hasn't always been kindness-- At Ore to Shore last year, as we climbed an endless hill on the road, I cheerily exclaimed, "We love hills!", with a smile that was met by many groans and cringes. Most amusing was my discovery that both my father and Ali are also optimistic beams of happiness while racing (long races), trying to motivate fellow competitors and focus on finishing strong. If only I were a lot tougher and my dad a little tougher, then Ali, my dad, and I could happily push each other to victory! :)

3 comments:

Ali B. said...

That cracks me up! Racing today I was advising my competitor girl of the best lines coming down some of the hills! The thing is, she was JUST as nice by calling out logs, low limbs, sticks, etc! We even had a brief conversation about her height & how she probably doesn't need to duck under that some of the stuff on the trail! Not to mention moments of comraderie as we both huffed up a hill feeling pedal strong but not heart strong. It was the nicest way to spend the 2 hours with a competitor. haha. She even said she would've offered up some water to me if she had a bottle! Unreal! :) Thanks for coming out to cheer and pass me your water. I looked forward to seeing you guys! And big PAT on your back for hitting the 25 this morning!

Anonymous said...

Great job in the 5K Erin! You've got what it takes when racing! Positive thoughts! :)

Di said...

Erin - it was great seeing you guys at Hanson Hills. I still think your 5K time was excellent. Great job!