January 25, 2008

days of youth

Recently my cousin Sarah called regarding an old song she heard on the radio and the memory it evoked-- us performing on an outdoor stage during a family vacation. This caused me to recall the many road trips I took as a child (as did my cousin) and the MANY tapes listened to in the car, as well as the hours of oldies radio. And, I was thinking about how as adults we don't have the time to just sit and memorize words to songs. Yes, we may sit and enjoy music, but rarely do we invest in actually learning a song inside and out. Sarah and I both had the entire "Chicago's Greatest Hits" tape memorized, and we'd belt it out in the car, never missing a beat. Perhaps we gleaned this knack for song-obsession from parents who were a bit quirky. Because, out of all the adults I know, my dad is the only one who will sit and listen to a song on a c.d. over and over again in order to memorize the words/beat to ultimate perfection. I guess throughout my life I have used the skill, but I certainly miss those no-worries days, of playing my parents' Billy Joel record until I could sing "Longest Time" with no timing errors or lyrical mistakes. What was once a relaxing past-time is now only a tool for showing off in front of my slightly more normal friends.

3 comments:

Ali B. said...

... can't wait to go skiing again... will you sing?!?

Ali B. said...

http://www.appelogen.be/2008/01/25/3-uur-mtv-uit-1983/

Erin, check this out - MTV 1983!! It has GREAT commercials for Atari, hygene products... etc. Three hours of flashback... for those of us old enough to remember. ;)

Anonymous said...

"Quirky" parents and family I would say! And dad is one of a kind! :) We still listen to music on a regular basis either on the radio or cd's (and the old tapes!)whether we are in the car or at home - - a lot of people our age (middle aged - not old!) don't do that! Music has always been a big part of our lives - so glad it is a part of your's and brings back wonderful memories!