December 15, 2007

first grade fun



I wish I'd had my camera yesterday morning at school. We are in our "weather" unit for language arts, and I had the kids keep their snowpants and boots on when they arrived yesterday... because we were heading outside to measure the snow depth! And, they were adorable. They each had a cheapie bendable yardstick, and it was great watching them venture into the deepest of snow. They realized they couldn't get a good measurement in the play areas, because the snow was packed so hard. Most of them held the rulers the right way, and when we came in, I had them record the snow depth in their science journals. All I wanted to be sure they had was the date, and the depth in inches. But some of them added illustrations of themselves holding the yardstick, with some shouting the measurement in speech bubbles! What smart first graders; they impress me all the time. And then, later they were doing a test-prep piece of writing about what they can do in the snow, and a few of them mentioned that they can measure it! We will measure again next week, so I'll try to remember my camera.

No comments: