March 22, 2008

childhood collector's item?


When I was a little girl, my mom always displayed a sugar easter egg on the table as one of our staple Easter decorations. In my teenage years, we got out the decorations and were horrified to discover that the sugar easter egg had become damp and gross in the basement box.

So, much later, probably in my 23rd year, my mom sent me a sugar easter egg in the annual easter package, and I have kept it safely secured in its plastic packaging ever since... like a collector's item.

Well, much to my surprise, a new sugar easter egg arrived in this year's package today-- complete with price tag proclaiming, "$1.99". So much for the valuable collector's item!

And so, once more, I realize that I truly do like the semi-realities of my childlike mind, more than the realities of international commerce. Yes, my new sugar egg was made in China.

3 comments:

elana said...

I LIKE YOUR BLOG
I NEED YOUR COMMENTS FOR MY BLOGS
I AM A TEACHER IN ISRAEL
WWW.ELA2.BLOGSPOT.COM
WWW.ELANA-NATURE.BLOGSPOT.COM
WWW.ELA4.BLOGSPOT.COM
WWW.ELA7.BLOGSPOT.COM
THANK A LOT
ELANA

Ali B. said...

The reality behind the sugary egg that so many young girls have coveted over the years... :) I loved mine too. I especially enjoying tasting it! I remember wondering if it was safe to do so... thinking, even at a young age, that it could be covered with a protective varnish! ack!

Vikki said...

The price tag of the egg may not be as concerning; worry more about lead coloring these days!