October 15, 2007

First Grade Fun

A 6+1 Traits idea is to introduce the writing process through art... My students made "creations" with play-dough, adding and making changes, then titling their creations. As a final step, students went around the classroom and left comments about each person's creation. It was a big deal-- we couldn't just write, "it was nice", because that doesn't actually say much. Anyhow, they were SO mature about it, and they took it very seriously. Below, is an example showing some comments about this person's creation (I have translated the 1st grade writing for you!)... I LOVE how they take chances spelling such huge words! :)
1."Wow, that looks so cool, and that is also my favorite color."
2. "I like it because it looks like a timer."
3. "It is great because it is very creative."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kennedy is a most impressive first grade writer!